8-year-old boy in Pennsylvania dies after house fire caused by discarded fireworks

8-year-old boy in Pennsylvania dies after house fire caused by discarded fireworks

An 8-year-old boy died following a weekend fire in York County, Pennsylvania, which officials say was caused by discarded fireworks.Fire crews were called to the home around 11 p.m. Saturday.West York Fire Department Assistant Chief James Hope told sister station WGAL that there was heavy fire through the roof of the home when crews arrived.Officials said two adults and a 6-year-old boy were already out of the home, but an 8-year-old boy had to be rescued from a second-floor bedroom.All four people were taken to a hospital, where the 8-year-old later died. Firefighters said the fire was caused by discarded fireworks.”It was determined that fireworks were used and set off some point during the night and discarded in a plastic recycling bin that weren’t completely out. Hot embers can burn. Any little wind can make that hot ember become hot again and melt anything close, and that’s what caused the fire,” Hope said.Damage to both parts of the duplex is estimated at $300,000.The investigation continues by the West York Fire Department, West York Borough Police and the state police fire marshal.The Red Cross was also called to the scene.

An 8-year-old boy died following a weekend fire in York County, Pennsylvania, which officials say was caused by discarded fireworks.

Fire crews were called to the home around 11 p.m. Saturday.

West York Fire Department Assistant Chief James Hope told sister station WGAL that there was heavy fire through the roof of the home when crews arrived.

Officials said two adults and a 6-year-old boy were already out of the home, but an 8-year-old boy had to be rescued from a second-floor bedroom.

All four people were taken to a hospital, where the 8-year-old later died.

Firefighters said the fire was caused by discarded fireworks.

“It was determined that fireworks were used and set off some point during the night and discarded in a plastic recycling bin that weren’t completely out. Hot embers can burn. Any little wind can make that hot ember become hot again and melt anything close, and that’s what caused the fire,” Hope said.

Damage to both parts of the duplex is estimated at $300,000.

The investigation continues by the West York Fire Department, West York Borough Police and the state police fire marshal.

The Red Cross was also called to the scene.

Harrison Jones – The York Daily Record

west york fatal fire

Harrison Jones – The York Daily Record


Source link